Pallets are a great source of recycled material to construct various types of furniture and construction.
Some examples to where to look for free or cheap pallets for your next project
- Feed & Pet Supply Stores– Feed and pet supply stores usually get their grains and pet food in on pallets and usually toss them out. Check with your local store to see if you can pick some up.
- Newspaper Companies– Newspaper companies receive shipments on pallets and often have lots of pallet discards. If you are close to a newspaper company, give them a call.
- Hardware Stores & Nurseries– Hardware stores and nurseries often receive shipments in pallets. Check with your local store to see if they give them away.
- Check Internet Listings– Pallets migth be listed on different trading websites, either for sale for a good price or in the Give-Away sections. Check regularly as they migth get picked up fast.
- Furniture Stores– Furniture is often shipped on pallets. So, check with your local furniture stores to see what they do with their pallet discards.
Basically, any business that receives shipments on pallets probably discards the unused pallets. However, if a company has a high volume of pallets to discard, they may use a pallet recycling company which are becoming used more and more. You may have better luck with a company that occasionally receives shipments on pallets, but not enough to bother using a recycling company to discard them. Even corporate offices sometimes receive pallet shipments.
How To Disassemble Pallets
The only tool you would need to disassemble pallets is the ”Pallet Buster” and it can be bought on sites like ebay for cheap, or at selected hardware stores. Or if you are in possession of 2 crowbars or similar materials it is also possible to construct your own.
Examples of what can be built using pallets
- Lounges, tables, chairs or benches
- Tanning beds
- Shelves or ligth fixtures
Examples: Caminhos da Chapada in Palmeiras, Pinterest