How to give new life to glassbottles
One creative way to make use of empty glass bottles is to create something functional with them. There’s so many things one can create with a little bit of creativity and craftsmanship. (If you already haven’t, check for some ideas and solutions on Pinterest.com as there are literally hundreds of things to be inspired by.)
At this day and age, these products have become quite trendy and interior design stores sell many of these redesigned pieces for good money.
This candle holder from Chapada Hostel in Lençóis is a simple, yet decorative way of reusing glass bottles ↬
Luckily there is a way you can do this by yourself, and its quite simple. All you would need is some string made from fabric that will soak up liquid, alcohol or lighter fluid (pretty much anything that burns really well), the bottle of you choice, and of course a lighter.
Here is what you do:
- Remove any labels on the bottle you want to cut
- Soak the string well in the alcohol/lighter fluid
- Fill your sink or a tub with cold water
- Tie the string tightly around the area you would like the cut to be made. (make sure it’s tight and straight)
- Now you can proceed by setting fire to the string, whilst turning the bottle to heat the cutting point evenly
- Wait until it burns out (this should take somewhere between 10-20 seconds)
- Lower the bottle (especially the point of the cut down) into the sink/tub of water
- If the bottle does not split by itself, try to carefully separate the parts
It might take a few tries to master this technique, so make sure to have some extra bottles laying around for your project.