How to Get Rid of Single-Use Plastic in Your Hostel
Plastic pollutes our nature, whether in landfills, oceans or elsewhere. Why use and discard it when you have reusable things available at your hostel? Here are some examples on what to use instead of the following plastic items:
- Plastic sticks to stir sugar in the coffee –> use teaspoons instead
- Plastic cups –> use normal glasses and cups instead
- Plastic cutlery –> use normal cutlery instead
- Plastic bags –> let the guests borrow some reusable shopping bags when buying groceries – in the kitchen and/or reception
- Plastic straws –> most guests do not really need them anyway
- Tips: if you really want to offer straws, you can buy reusable ones made of bamboo or steel, for example from this site.
- Plastic bottles –> phase out the sale of bottled water and offer filtered water for free instead.
- Tips: sell reusable bottles with the hostel’s logo
In most hostels the guests anyway do their own dishes, so it does not have to be extra work for the hostel staff to phase out disposable plastic. You will also save money by not buying disposable plastic, and the nature will thank you for taking the effort to reuse instead of disposing.
Tips: put up a poster explaining why you do not offer disposable plastic. The poster above can be downloaded here: